Cape Town, Afrique du sud: my first impressions.

It has been 2 weeks since I arrived in South Africa and I wanted to share with you my first impressions.
I am currently living in Cape Town and I have mostly experienced touristic stuff. I will write deeply about the South African culture once I will know more about it.

Devil's peak & Lion's head


Cela fait maintenant deux semaines que je suis arrivée en Afrique du Sud et j’aimerais partager avec vous mes premières impressions.
Actuellement, j’habite à Cape Town et j’ai principalement fait des trucs touristiques. J’écrirai un article sur la vie en Afrique du sud, quand j’en aurai appris davantage sur la culture sud-africaine.

My new environment:

After a million hours of traveling, my manager and my Irish colleague picked me up at the airport and welcomed me with a hug. As a French girl, hugging is not the first way I think of when I have to greet someone new, but I like how friendly it is!
Kloof street, Cape Town, South Africa
 I had to stay in a backpackers for a week and I enjoyed that place. It was perfectly located: in the city center, near all the shops, trendy bars and restaurants but at the same time not too far from the beach. For those who would like to visit Cape Town, (and you should!) I stayed at the Cape Town Backpackers. It was the ideal way to meet people from all over the world. I did not expect Cape Town to be that international but it is!


Mon nouvel environnement :

View of Table Mountain
Après un très long voyage en avion, mon manager et mon collègue irlandais sont venus me récupérer à l’aéroport et m’ont accueilli avec un « hug ». Pour la plupart des français, l’idée du « hug » pour se dire bonjour n’est pas celui auquel on pense en premier, mais pour ma part, je trouve ça très chaleureux (même si pour eux ça veut juste dire "bonjour").
Je suis restée une semaine dans une auberge de jeunesse et j'ai adoré cet endroit.  L’emplacement était parfait : dans le centre, près de tous les magasins, des restaurants et bars branchés, et en même temps pas très loin de la mer . Pour ceux qui aimeraient visiter ce coin de l’Afrique du Sud (et c’est une très bonne idée), je suis restée à « Cape Town Backpackers » (l'auberge Ashanti est très sympa aussi d'après certains retours et il y a une piscine!). C’est le moyen parfait pour rencontrer de nouvelles personnes.  Je ne m’attendais pas à ce que Cape Town soit international à ce point, mais ça l’est !

Discovering Cape Town:
As I had one week off before starting my internship, I decided to do the most of it.
The city, the mountains and the beach are calling you in Cape Town.
The amount of bars and restaurants per square meter is insane. I am generally looking for places to eat on the internet before going out, but downhere, you feel like eating out at every corner and you are never disappointed. You fancy an Italian, Mexican, Indian restaurant?! You’ll have it.
When the sun goes down and you want to chill with a beer/cocktail/ (insert the drink you fancy here) you have “Long Street”. That street is known for its bars and clubs in case you want to bump and grind.
Source:thebeerhouse.co.za


Here, the terminus names of buses end by “Beach” it is quite pleasant I must admit. I spent my afternoons at the beach encompassed by palm trees, white sand…but hey BRICK water! 

Camps Bay, Cape town, South Africa

Whether you like it or not, you will be surrounded by the mountains. All the time. From Table Mountain to Lion’s head. You just cannot miss them.
I took the cable car to have a million dollar view from Table Mountain (see below). You can also hike that mountain but a friend of mine tried, and it took her 8 hours so ask your boss for a day off (or three to get over the stiffness).


Each Saturday morning, you have the Old Biscuit Mill which is a market. You can buy designer clothes and eat. You will find me here every Saturday.


Old biscuit Mill, Cape town, South africa


Old biscuit mill, Cape town

A la découverte de Cape Town :
Comme j’avais une semaine de libre avant de commencer mon stage, j’ai décidé d’en profiter un max !
Le nombre de bars et de restaurants par mètre carré est tout simplement impressionnant au Cap. La plupart du temps, je suis un peu en lutte pour trouver des endroits sympas mais à Cape Town, à chaque coin de rues l’envie de manger vous prend et vous n’êtes jamais déçu. Vous rêvez d’un italien (le restau hein ,calmons-nous !) et bien vous l’avez !

Quand le soleil se couche et que l’envie d’une bonne bière ou d’un cocktail se fait ressentir, vous avez « Long Street » qui est ici la rue de la soif.
Clifton Beach, Cape town, South Africa

 Ici, les noms de terminus de bus se finissent par « Beach » et c’est assez agréable je dois l’avouer. J’ai passé mes après-midis à la plage entourée de palmiers et de sable blanc. L’eau est turquoise mais GLACEE.

Qu’on le veuille  ou non, on est encerclé de montagnes. PARTOUT. TOUT LE TEMPS. De « Table Mountain » à « Lions’s Head », on peut juste pas les louper !
J’ai pris le funiculaire afin de profiter de la vue de « Table Mountain ». Les plus courageux font des randonnées. Une pote l’a fait, elle en a eu pour 8 heures.
View from Table Mountain

Tous les samedis matins, il y a le marché « Old Biscuit Mill » à Salt River qui est devenu mon QG. On y trouve des vêtements et bijoux de petits créateurs mais également de la bouffe.
Old Biscuit Mill, Cape Town, South Africa
Insider tips:
If you visit Cape Town I recommend  having a car but if you live in the city center, you have the official buses with the check-in and check-out system. The fare depends on the kilometers. You also have the mini bus which is a bit cheaper but I had some WTF moments in there. There is not always space for everyone and the last time I took it, the driver drove on the pavements during the rush hour. When I say “drive”, I don’t mean "overlap slightly" but literally "drive for a few meters".

When it comes to South Africa, security is a recurrent topic but it should not prevent you to visit that place.
There are few things to do to be safe: I have not felt in danger since I  arrived here. You can go out alone when it is still bright outside, but during the night walk with your group of friends or take a taxicab. Don’t hesitate to negotiate the fare. Most of the taxicabs I have experienced were friendly, called me “sista”, and brought me exactly in front of my house.

Petits conseils :

Si vous visiter Cape Town, avoir une voiture est l’idéal mais si vous logez dans le centre-ville, les bus et leur système de « check-in/check-out » feront l’affaire. Vous paierez seulement ce que vous avez voyagé avec le bus. Vous avez également un mini-bus qui est un peu moins cher mais je ne vais pas vous cacher que j’ai eu quelques mauvaises surprises avec. Il n’y a pas forcément de la place pour tout le monde et la dernière fois que je l’ai pris, le conducteur a littéralement conduit sur le trottoir pendant l’heure de pointe.

L’Afrique du Sud est souvent associé à l’insécurité mais en prenant quelques précautions tout se passe pour le mieux. Même si  je ne me suis jamais sentie en danger depuis mon arrivée, j’ai entendu quelques histoires flippantes. Vous pouvez sortir seul(e) sans souci pendant la journée mais je vous conseille d’être avec votre groupe d’amis ou de prendre un taxi lorsque la nuit est tombée (c’est même la règle de base ici). D'ailleurs, n’hésitez pas à négocier le prix du trajet en taxi. La plupart des chauffeurs de taxi sont sympa, m’appelle « sista » et me ramène pile devant chez moi.

Eunice


Psst:For more travel pictures, make sure to you follow me on Instagram & Facebook.
On est aussi sur Instagram & Facebook.

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION