7 Things Indonesians Hate About Traveling Overseas

 Traveling can be a unique experience for any of us. The culture differences, language difficulties, the food and even the weather.  Westerners travel to Indonesia and Indonesians travel to the Western world. We wanted to know how they felt about traveling to the Western World, so we asked our Indonesian friends what annoy them on the other side of the globe. Here is what they have to say:

Australia

Voyager est une expérience unique pour nous tous. Les différences culturelles, la barrière de la langue, la nourriture et le temps... Nombreux sont les voyageurs occidentaux qui sont allés en Indonesie. aujourd'hui on se place de l'autre côté du monde et on a voulu savoir ce que les indonésiens n'aimaient pas quand ils partaient en Occident. Voici ce qu'ils ont à nous dire: 
      "It's hard to replace rice with bread"
 Reza Andriyanto, Boston University graduated student 
"Most of Indonesians use a spoon when they eat. Why do they only use forks in the Western world? I think eating with a spoon is more convenient! In addition, the portion in the United States is humongous! They have a 3-course meal while in Indonesia we only have one.
In my opinion, it's hard to replace rice with bread. Back in Indonesia, we eat rice all the time even for breakfast! I don't feel like I had enough if there is no rice involved. No matter how much bread I take, I'll still be hungry without rice. I always adore Indonesian food everywhere I go. But they are too expensive overseas. Furthermore, food in the Western world is 'less spicy'. On the other hand, Western dishes are easier to cook compared to Indonesian dishes."

"Les indonésiens utilisent une cuillère quand ils mangent et non la fourchette comme en Occident. Ca n'engage que moi, mais manger avec une cuillère est tellement plus pratique. Les portions aux USA sont énormes. Le repas est divisé en 3 parties alors qu'en Indonésie, on a que le plat principal.

En Indonésie, on mange du riz tout le temps (même pour le petit dej). Quand je voyage, c'est vraiment dur de remplacer le riz par du pain. Je peux manger tout le pain que je veux, j'aurai toujours faim s'il n'y a pas de riz. La nourriture indonésienne que je trouve à l'étranger est super bonne (même si pas assez épicée) mais chère! "

  "They don't know where Indonesia is"
Bella Mayaza, Leeds Beckett University graduated student
"Sometimes they greet me in Chinese by saying "ni hao"because English people (in my opinion) only know either Arabs or Chinese people. While for me I don't look like Chinese at all! In addition, they don't know where Indonesia is. Most of them only know Bali. In overall, I still think that English people are the most polite people in the world."

"On me dit "ni hao" (bonjour en chinois). Je pense que les anglais ne connaissent que les arabes ou les chinois alors que je ne trouve pas que je ressemble à une chinoise. En plus, ils savent pas situer l'Indonésie sur une carte, ils connaissent juste Bali. Malgré ça, je continue de penser que les anglais sont les gens les plus polis du monde."
  "Not friendly to tourists"
Dave Jefta Siswanto, a teacher at Starlight Edutainment School & traveler
"As for me, I hate it when people are not friendly to tourists. I went to Paris, people were not that friendly to tourists and some of them were even racist... I  need friendliness when I travel and open-mindedness. Besides that, Paris is an amazing city!"

"En ce qui me concerne, je déteste quand les locaux ne sont pas sympas avec les touristes. J'en ai fait l'expérience à Paris. J'ai besoin d'être avec des gens chaleureux quand je voyage. Mais à part ça, Paris est une ville incroyable."
       "Complicated visa bureaucracy"
Andreas Dohardo, junior architect & singer
"I don't like complicated visa bureaucracy. As being Indonesian, we have to gather a lot of documents to apply only for a touristic visa. I hope that in the future we will be able to travel with less strict rules. It will be much cooler if the Indonesian passport allows us to travel as freely as Western passports. "

"Etant indonésien, je dois rassembler plein de papiers rien que pour obtenir un visa touristique. J'espère que dans un futur proche, on pourra voyager plus facilement. Ce serait bien qu'on ait un passeport qui nous ouvre plein de portes comme celui que les occidentaux ont."

                  "They think I am an illegal alien"

Gusti Amanda Rivera, Parahyangan University undergraduate law student & fashion model
"When I went to Kuala Lumpur there was a random policeman on the side of the road. suddenly he asked me to show him my passport. He thought that I was an illegal alien from Indonesia." (Ed.: Indonesian the government sent plenty of domestic workers overseas. Some countries are strict when it comes to illegal immigration especially in countries near Indonesia such as Malaysia and Singapore.)

"Quand j'étais à Kuala Lumpur, un policier m'a demandé mon passeport sans aucune raison valable. Il a cru que j'étais une clandestine." (NDLR: Le gouvernement indonésien envoie des travailleurs à l'étranger. Certains pays voisins comme la Malaisie et Singapour sont très stricts en ce qui concerne l'immigration illégale.)

          "Language difficulties"
Rima Demensah, Miss Scuba Indonesia 2014
"I had some language difficulties when I traveled to Tokyo, Japan. I cannot understand Japanese. From my perspective, some people in Japan are able to speak English but they are either quite proud of their own language or too shy to speak English. However, I don't really care because I am keen to learn their language and cultures. "
"J'ai eu des problèmes de communication au Japon vu que je ne parlais pas la langue locale. à mon avis, les japonais peuvent parler anglais mais ils préfèrent parler leur langue ou sont trop timides pour essayer. Ceci-dit, c'est pas si grave vu que je veux apprendre le japonais et la culture nippone."
"I cannot poop and clean up properly"
Dea Novira, a young designer
"When it comes to winter, I cannot stand wearing a lot of thick clothes. For me when it's 20 degrees, it's cold! When I went to London, the weather killed me. Nevertheless, the air quality in London was much better than in Jakarta. 
I have another issue. I cannot poop and clean myself properly in the Western world they only use a tissue. In Indonesia, we always use a spray water like in Japan to clean up in the toilet. We need water plus soap in the toilet! "

"Je ne supporte pas de porter plein de vêtements, mais l'hiver en Europe ne me laisse pas le choix. A partir de 20 degrés, il fait trop froid pour moi. J'ai cru mourir à Londres! Ceci-dit, la qualité de l'air est bien plus appréciable à Londres qu'à Jakarta.
J'ai un autre problème: je ne peux pas aller au toilette et me nettoyer correctement. En Occident, ils utilisent seulement du papier toilette alors qu'en Indonésie on utilise des sprays comme au Japon. Il me faudrait de quoi me nettoyer au toilette genre un savon et de l'eau."

Click on the name of the interviewees to check out their Instagram!
Cliquez sur les noms des interviewés si vous voulez voir leur instagram.



Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION